[RndTbl] Need to borrow a SCSI Controller

Adam Thompson athompso at athompso.net
Thu Jan 12 21:41:34 CST 2023

Luckily for Alberto, there’s basically no such thing as a passive HD68 or VHCI terminator, so anything he finds that’s physically compatible will also be electrically compatible with Ultra160 signalling.
Terminators of all flavours are – amazingly – still easy to get on both Amazon and eBay, and at not-insane prices, too.

Oh, and LSI did make the LSi20320IE chip, which is a PCIe Ultra320 HBA controller – I see one on Amazon for only $115?!?  The overwhelming majority of Ultra320 and Ultra160 adapters were PCI-X, which means server-class motherboards only; you *usually* have to go down to Ultra-Fast Wide (80MB/sec) before plain PCI could keep up.  (PCI was limited to 133MB/sec, you can do the math!)  66MHz PCI (266MB/sec) really only existed in PCI-X anyway, so there you go…

A word of warning, if you’re buying a SCSI HBA (card), make sure you do NOT get a RAID card – those are often useless for tape drives.

(If I hadn’t done a major purge 3 yrs ago when I moved, I would still have all the bits and pieces needed.  Oh well.)

-Adam