[RndTbl] Need to borrow a SCSI Controller

Alberto Abrao alberto at abrao.net
Fri Jan 13 12:36:53 CST 2023

On 2023-01-13 01:02, Trevor Cordes wrote:

> VHDCI would be a bit weird on that cable at the HBA side (going from
> memory)?

Here:

End #1: https://cloud.abrao.net/s/GCHFd9aycJRnncf

End #2: https://cloud.abrao.net/s/NgRjBY9S4KYfKHb

> Ya, you'll have to do pics, or just come on over one evening and we'll
> make it work.  If you want to wait until after your trip and you're in
> no big rush, could do it at the next-next board meeting.

My timelines are a lot tighter than that, I am afraid.

> Adam's note of drive termination may be correct and that will solve
> that problem if you can crack open the case.
Guess I'll have to, although I am trying to avoid that.
> My idea of making the
> thing internal by taking it out of its case is probably the way to go.
> If you're cracking it open to flip a termination DIP then you might as
> well just get it all running via internal.  Hell, you can probably just
> have it hanging half out the system ("an internal external!").
If it comes down to that...
> You may have trouble putting together the required external cables from
> MUUG members without ordering something (and waiting...) if you try to
> make it work all-external.

Per my calculations, we would use 2x LTO-8 tapes *at most* to fit the
contents of all Ultrium 2 tapes we have They're also on the the lower
range of their expected life span (15-30 years, as per Wikipedia).

> Checking checking... nope, not I; so another vote for an internal
> solution.

Greg offered exactly what I'd need to perform this task without messing
with the drive, which seems to be working OK - we ran a cleaning tape on
it this morning.

With that said, I need to get on it fairly soon, so I'll have to get it
going one way or the other. I may just go down that path, if needed.

> Don't worry, much of your stuff is still here, and I'll let Alberto
> know if he needs to thank you for the loaner part :-)

To be fair, I should do that already: thank you Greg, Adam, Trevor, and
Hartmut, for the input!

Kind regards,
Alberto Abrao