[RndTbl] USB3 to Ethernet, to make NAS

Adam Thompson athompso at athompso.net
Mon Jan 23 07:49:18 CST 2023

Also, I'm afraid I have to point out that "USB to Ethernet adapter" and "reliable" don't belong in the same sentence to begin with.

As to specific recommendations, no.  Virtually all USB Ethernet adapters for sale today use the Class driver, and are implemented using one of about 3 or 4 chipsets - and made using one of about 4 or 5 reference designs.  The only variability is (a) whether the adapter has other co-existing functions [e.g. a hub], which does not IMHO have any specific correlation with quality, and/or (b) the warranty and ease of contacting tech support.

Mind you, all the same goes for USB-SATA adapters.

There's still some room to differentiate on USB-C to NVMe adapters, but even that market is rapidly coalescing and consolidating.

-Adam