[RndTbl] USB3 to Ethernet, to make NAS

Chris Audet cj.audet at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 09:27:32 CST 2023

+1 to what Adam is saying, sounds like we might be solving the wrong
problem.

I'm going to make the following assumptions:

   - You're trying to do this using a USB portable hard drive like these
   <https://www.memoryexpress.com/Category/HardDrives?FilterID=5dc914c6-0785-94bb-49a7-804c5c40a606>
   - You want to use the USB hard drive as a NAS most of the time
   - You want the flexibility to connect the hard drive directly to a
   computer sometimes
   - Your USB portable drive isn't using USB-C

Some recommended solutions:

   - Many home wifi routers include a USB port which can be used to make
   USB storage available on the network.  For example, Mikrotik hEX
   <https://mikrotik.com/product/RB960PGS>.  If your router has this
   feature, this would be a quick solution
   - If you have an existing home server or PC that's always powered on,
   plugging in your USB drive and configuring the drive to be shared over the
   network might be OK as well
   - If you don't have existing hardware that can be used, then you could
   consider buying a single board computer
   <https://www.memoryexpress.com/Category/SingleBoardComputers> or refurb
   PC
   <https://www.memoryexpress.com/Category/DesktopComputers?FilterID=0e757706-0903-d8ff-8186-d297993b5869>
   to convert it into a NAS or use an off the shelf NAS unit
   <https://www.memoryexpress.com/Category/NetworkNAS>

Cursed solution:

   - This product category seems to have died out, but you used to be able
   to buy converters that could turn USB hard drives into standalone NAS units
   - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1762899257.html
   - Just search for "Mini WAN NET Giga NAS FTP Dongle GIGA NAS FAT 32 /
   NTFS USB 2.0 Network Storage Adapter Dongle for FTP Server"
   - The performance and reliability was probably terrible, but it's still
   neat