[RndTbl] libvirt, vmware, and Windows 2000

Scott Toderash scott at 100percenthelpdesk.com
Tue Jan 31 12:46:21 CST 2023

If the subject line doesn't scare you then maybe you can help me out
with this one. Windows 2000 is its own punishment at this point, but
it's part of the mission in this case.

I have a working Windows 2000 server running on VMWare esxi. I
downloaded the image as a vmdk file and attempted to import it into my
Linux system as a KVM image. It mostly works.

I did this successfully with 2 other machines that were Windows 2012R2
from the same source and same destination. Those work.

W2k is having issues because it has C: E: and F: but only C: is
recognized when I boot it up in the new environment. It shows that E:
exists but it believes that it is corrupted.

There are probably some parameters that I don't know about that I need
to pass in order to make this work.

The general process was download the vmdk image, use "qemu-img convert"
to make a raw file and then try to boot that. I tried using virt-install
and I tried some other manual config methods but this is as far as I
have been able to get.

Does anyone here have experience with this sort of scenario?