[RndTbl] HDMI extenders

Colin Stanners cstanners at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 10:22:58 CST 2023

Hi Kevin, here's some info.

-Note the difference between "HDMI over catX cable" and "HDMI over
Ethernet". For the first case, HDMI signals are converted with simple
processing to run over one or a pair of catX cables. Cheap adapters like
https://www.amazon.ca/Extender-Converter-Yukidoke-Compatible-Unilateral/dp/B09LXJF3Z1/
for $40-80 do that pretty well but can be affected by video resolution,
cable length and quality. Sometimes if you are lucky at Krazy Binz you'll
find a pair of those remaining on $10 or $5 days. More advanced adapters
that compress the multi-gbps HDMI video signal into a stream of approx
100mbps and encapsulate it into IP packets to run over standard Ethernet
connections cost hundreds of dollars+ per link and add latency.

-HDMI max length with passive cables is around 50ft on most equipment, if
you're doing 4K resolution later it'd be likely less. Digiparts.ca is
located on Sargent, opening hours vary but they have 50ft HDMI cables for
$30.