[RndTbl] WordTsar – A Wordstar clone

eh at eduardhiebert.com eh at eduardhiebert.com
Mon May 22 11:44:04 CDT 2023

For serious editing some of the reasons why I still use Wordstar

Although I was introduced to Wordstar over 40 years ago, for serious
drafting or editing I still use it to this day as it is so superior to
anything I have seen from several proprietary programs like Window's
Word to LibreOffice.

And the size of the program or any of its files only take a small
fraction to load compared to any other, though I can not speak to the
one possible exception Adam made mention of.

In a moment I will outline a few very efficient text editing features
not available in any of the so-called bells and whistle programs but
even for serious programing Wordstar can be a very handy tool as with
but two or three keystrokes a text file can be stripped to a no nonsense
ASCII file.  As it make visible on the screen and in a file, both the
carriage return and carriage increment, imported files that are missing
either (such as Foxy Tab in FF when copying the title and urls of multi
open tabs) such a file easily corrected for use in any higher priced
wordprocssing or spreadsheet, without the learning curve those programs
demand even for basic uses.

In ASCII mode Wordstar also has a true column mode copy/erase/insert
function.

Now for some text editing pluses.

At any place in a document (up to 10, more with a little ingenuity) with
but two keystrokes an anchor can be placed  which with but another two
keystrokes can be returned to patch in text of nearly unlimited length
from another area in the file.

The wordspeller, especially in live quasi batch mode can correct an
entire file in but a tiny fraction of other programs by simply with one
keystroke entering the number associated with every offered suggestion
or adding the word to your dictionary file, or making your correction on
the fly, or moving on to the next word flagged.  For every word flagged
one at a time the screen also shows the word in context, with but
hitting Escape you can edit to your hearts content and then continue
spell-check.

Because its a keyboard based program with but two keystrokes either the
begin or end of an unlimited length section  can be highlighted and then
with but a further two keystrokes, deleted, copied to another place in
the file and/or saved to any new file or appended to an existing file!

With but two keystrokes you can transpose any two words, or from the
cursor with three keystrokes delete to the character just entered as the
third keystroke which can be any length away.  The system will warn you
if the undo memory is not big enough to undo the deletion.

And better still, the learning curve is a tiny fraction of all other
programs seen AND the exceptionally functional help screens are also
available with but a keystroke or two.

While I personally have no need of a new text editor, for the serious
editor, the one who initiated this thread (my system lost the email) and
Gerald, you are to be applauded for reintroducing the future of no
nonsense superior text editing capacity.

One caveat though, this is for text editing, formatting is another
matter but as said before exporting as pure ASCII text to any other
program is a synch, including as well in CSV format!

Eduard

PS  I first came across Wordstar some four decades ago via Osborne's CPM
system including at some time migrating to a MsDos version which I still
use today in a Windows environment via an emulator, either DosBox or
Virtual Box. Incidentally, maybe with more knowhow but for me, a few
other MsDos programs work in one or the other but not both.