[RndTbl] New & novel font family MONASPACE

Trevor Cordes trevor at tecnopolis.ca
Thu Nov 16 14:46:06 CST 2023

On 2023-11-14 Adam Thompson wrote:
> For the font geeks... The "healing" aspect is, AFAIK, long-known to
> be possible, but I think this is the first time it's been seen in the
> wild - exciting, but also now I'm wondering about possible new attack
> vectors inside the TTF runtime...
>
> https://monaspace.githubnext.com/

Wow, new font tech that might not bug me (cleartype ugh) and might make
me happier (in my old age seeing the difference between o and c in
normal fonts @8pts in the terminal is getting harder).

Argon looks most promising for me.

So in theory the font files can be put in a linux font folder somewhere
and these can be run in gnome-terminal?  Has anyone tried?

I've found sometimes fonts that "leave their cell" can cause artifacts
as X & terminals (or whatever) has imperfect handling.  I wonder if
these will suffer from this.  I also wonder about performance in terms
of cpu loading, though surely this must be a nothingburger drop in the
bucket?  Last thing anyone wants is the editor / terminal getting laggy
when typing or shifting text around.  Then again, this isn't a MS
product.

Great post Adam!  I wonder when this will show up as normal packages in
the repos... like in Fedora...