[RndTbl] CVE-2023-41064

Chris Audet cj.audet at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 21:26:58 CDT 2023

>Anyone can send you a text or imessage (whatever that is) with a crafted
webp image and p0wn your whole device: no clicks or user
interaction required.

Quick comment on this.  iOS 16 added a "lockdown mode" feature
<https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212650>, which disables a bunch of
device features likely to be used for 0 days like this one.

Notable quote relating to the iMessage attack vector:
>Apple’s Security Engineering and Architecture team has confirmed to us,
that Lockdown Mode blocks this particular attack.
<https://citizenlab.ca/2023/09/blastpass-nso-group-iphone-zero-click-zero-day-exploit-captured-in-the-wild/#:~:text=We%20believe%2C%20and%20Apple%E2%80%99s%20Security%20Engineering%20and%20Architecture%20team%20has%20confirmed%20to%20us%2C%20that%20Lockdown%20Mode%20blocks%20this%20particular%20attack.>

If you're the type of person who reads CVE pages, you should consider
enabling lockdown mode.  I've had it enabled since the day it was released
with no major issues.