[RndTbl] CVE-2023-41064

Adam Thompson athompso at athompso.net
Thu Oct 5 11:18:41 CDT 2023

What everyone calls SMS almost always includes MMS, which is a layered superset of SMS capabilities (using OTT IP, FWIW).

MMS is capable of sending images.  While they normally get transcoded at least once, and usually 3 times (wtf, I know), it is possible for a sufficiently-sophisticated attacker to send webP images bypassing all the transcoding.  To do so, the attacker would need an SS7 connection, but while expensive, that's not a massive technical hurdle.

So... sadly that's still a zero-click vuln on every cell phone with a carrier that isn't still in the dark ages.

-Adam