[RndTbl] DHCP lease renewal on Debian/Ubuntu

Kevin McGregor kevin.a.mcgregor at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 08:53:34 CST 2024

Is there a way to force the DHCP client on Debian/Ubuntu to renew its lease
ahead of time? For example, if the lease duration is a week, but you want
the client to refresh the list of DNS servers immediately.

Will "netplan apply" do it? Or "systemctl restart systemd-networkd"? That
seems extreme; I don't want a network/service interruption -- things like
IP address/netmask/gateway won't change in the case I'm thinking of but
other configuration details may need updating. Mind you, I have little idea
what all systemd-networkd is responsible for.

In Windows, for example, you'd run "ipconfig /renew". Is there an
equivalent for Debian/Ubuntu?