[RndTbl] Ras Pi Help needed.

Adam Thompson athompso at athompso.net
Tue Jan 9 23:31:27 CST 2024

I haven’t booted my Pis in a while, but didn’t Rasbian follow Debian, and switch to systemd?  If so, the instructions on that page will probably work for now, but will have to get translated to a systemd “unit” at some later date.  Not a blocker issue today, just something to keep in mind.

Many people have created alarm systems using Pis as intelligent controllers; many people have reinvented the wheel, too!  I suggest you have a look at these existing projects:

  *   PrivateEyePi/JemRF Project<https://projects.privateeyepi.com/home.php>
  *   bkbilly/AlarmPI: 🚨 Home Security Intrusion Detection for Raspberry PI or any other linux OS (github.com)<https://github.com/bkbilly/AlarmPI>
  *   Konnected Alarm Panel connects a wired alarm system to your smart home<https://konnected.io/>
  *   Home Assistant (home-assistant.io)<https://www.home-assistant.io/>

One of the more contentious aspects of inter-building communications – assuming you truly meant that the barn and the house have independent internet connections – is that of communication between the two sites.  If both have residential-grade service, you’ll have dynamic, NAT’d IP addresses at both locations, which makes establishing a VPN difficult (although not impossible).  You can use web-based “broker” servers, whether running your own or using someone else’s – Google, MS, etc. have proprietary-ish options, or you can run your own MQTT (or whatever you want, really) server in the cloud pretty cheaply – on the order of $5/month.

Apparently network-connected MQTT-enabled alarm *sensors* exist, which might eliminate the need to a Pi at the barn entirely.  Or if an Android app will suit instead of an alarm blaring, you might be able to skip the house end entirely.

There’s a million ways to solve this problem, most of them wrong 😊, but many of them right, too.  Having said that, unless you’re doing this as an exercise to learn how to use a Pi at a low level (GPIO pins monitoring alarm signals, building your own GUI, etc.) I **strongly** recommend you stand on the shoulders of giants, so to speak, and pick an existing framework and work with that instead.  I’m a firm believer in not re-inventing the wheel unnecessarily!

-Adam