[*] Any interest for a meeting next week

Shawn Wallbridge shawn at synack-hosting.com
Tue Dec 27 22:34:28 CST 2005

On 27-Dec-05, at 10:18 PM, Dan & Michele wrote:

> I'd be interested in attending. I've missed a couple in the past while.
>
> Of a side note ... pulver communications is having a beta program with
> their "pro" product .. one of the neat things is multiple sip
> accounts.
>
> on another side note ... the little white router that best buy is
> selling for like $2 or some such .. i picked up one with the usb
> dongles (for $20 with mir) ... interesting to note .. it runs linux !
> .. although there appears to be a possibility of a gpl violation ..
> that was discusssed earlier in the year via a newsgroup item ..
> haven't found the source yet .. one day ...
>
> Cheers.
>
> Dan.

I have also found another possible violation of the GPL[0]. I have a
'PhatBox' in my car, it plugs into the changer controls and has a
removable 'cartridge' (containing a laptop drive). You copy MP3's onto
it with their software and you can access them from the factory deck in
the car. It's actually pretty nice.

The software only runs on Windows, but I decided to try plugging the
USB cradle for the 'cartridge' into my Mac and sure enough the drive
showed up, it has two partitions, the first is the system stuff the
second is the music. It is very definitely Linux.

I can't copy files onto the drive and have them show up in the car, but
I have read online that if you ask, they will give you a 'unix' utility
that will generate the indexes and stuff so you can do it from a Mac.

shawn

[0] - Not that I am a big fan of it ;-)