[*] The Jeff Pulver Blog: Om, Since You Ask, Here Are My Initial Thoughts on the PC-to-PSTN Price War:

Ron Dallmeier ron at fiber.ca
Mon Apr 10 11:31:18 CDT 2006

One of the issues with IX is that it is very difficult to free peer with
an organization and sell transit services to them at the same time. IE -
if I could IX with MTS I would have no reason to want to purchase
bandwidth from them unless they were the cheapest. If I did buy bandwidth,
the IX would reduce the amount of traffic that MTS could bill me for.

The cablecos like Shaw and Rogers do not sell ITSP services to other
organizations (as far as I know). Therefore they stand to loose very
little and gain by minimizing PSTN gateway resources (which they are
currently paying their competition to obtain). If I were to wager - I
would bet that the cablecos would be pro ENUM.

...Ron