[*] 10Mbit speed - Shaw QoS Fraud?

Sean Walberg sean at ertw.com
Thu Sep 7 10:35:49 CDT 2006

Fraud at worst, misleading at best.

Voice can tolerate latency, but what it doesn't tolerate is jitter.  At the
network level, jitter is controlled by a strict priority queue, ie if a
voice packet is seen on the ingress port it is the next packet to leave the
router no matter what (well, assuming you haven't bursted beyond what you're
allowed).  Anything else and you're not helping voice quality.

I guess this might explain why nobody at Shaw can explain how packets are
classified -- they simply aren't.

This almost sounds like something for Consumer Affairs:
http://consumer.ic.gc.ca/epic/internet/inoca-bc.nsf/en/ca01506e.html

Sean

Sean Walberg <sean at ertw.com>    http://ertw.com/