[*] 10Mbit speed - Shaw QoS Fraud?

Bill Reid billreid at shaw.ca
Thu Sep 7 11:25:45 CDT 2006

Sean Walberg wrote:
> Fraud at worst, misleading at best.

This certainly sounds like marketing spin.  Shaw does not call their digital
phone VoIP because of the confusion in the public of the term VoIP and VoI
(Voice over the Internet).  In the case of QoS they are willing to have the
confusion work in their favour. Clearly the common use of the term refers to how
packets are handled not quality monitoring.

Shaw does have a right to charge for services which are not normally used by
everyone.  The problems that John is having could be be seen as a prime example
of this service. As we have said jitter is a problem for VoIP not normal
Internet usage. Shaw is probably justified in charging for resolving jitter
problems.

I think I will file a complaint through the CRTC about the QoS service. My
position will be that Shaw should call the service "QoS monitoring". This would
seems to be more discriptive.

-- Bill