[*] question regarding phone book and 411 listings

John Lange john.lange at open-it.ca
Thu Mar 8 12:28:56 CST 2007

On Thu, 2007-03-08 at 10:15 -0600, Perry Gregorchuk wrote:
> I would like to know if one was to use an internet phone system, how would
> you be listed in your local 411 directory and the white pages phone books???
> Are there forms to fill out or what?
>
> If you 'ask' manitoba telephone system, they tell you that it is Impossible
> to be listed since they ONLY list their customers and will NOT list anyone
> else?? Is that true?

That is complete BS of course. Have you ever got the right answer when
you call MTS? I don't suppose you happen to know who you were talking
to?

CRTC Telecom Decision 2005-28 stipulates that CLECs and resellers
(including VoIP providers) are entitled to directory listings.

If you really have a lot of time on your hands you can read the decision
here: http://www.crtc.gc.ca/archive/ENG/Decisions/2005/dt2005-28.htm

I also stumbled on this summary of 2005-28 which is the best I've seen:

http://www.blakes.com/english/publications/clb/May2005/BlakesVoIPBulletin05.asp

--- quote ---

Directory Listings
The VOIP regulatory framework requires that the telephone listings of
subscribers for VOIP Service appear in the local telephone directory
where calls to and/or from the telephone number assigned to the
subscriber are considered to be local calls, regardless of the
geographic location of the subscriber’s service address (i.e., if the
subscriber obtains a Toronto number, the directory listing would appear
in the Toronto telephone directory even if the person’s address is in
some other location).

--- end quote ---

John