[RndTbl] WRT54G, DNS, and DHCP

Glen Ditchfield gjditchfield at acm.org
Wed Oct 12 23:02:50 CDT 2005

I have a WRT54G with Linksys firmware (v4.20.7).  It's set up as a DHCP
server, and when I ask it to show me the DHCP client table, all of my
computers' names are there.  However, the computer names don't show up in
DNS: 'slate' is listed in the DHCP client table, but 'ping slate' doesn't
work.

I thought I had seen web pages that said that the Linksys firmware could
connect DHCP and DNS so that 'ping slate' would work, but I can't find
anything now.  I do find lots of pages about OpenWRT and dnsmasq... Have I
been misremembering things?  Is dnsmasq the way to go?