[RndTbl] Public access machine

Robert Keizer robert at cluenet.org
Mon Dec 7 14:26:29 CST 2009

Mike Pfaiffer wrote:
> 	First I've confirmed the reboot/halt command needs to be performed as
> root under Mint. Makes sense.
>
> 	When it comes to enabling access to the reboot/halt command, this would
> be done through file permissions?

It could.. but its a bad idea. A better solution would be to allow the
user access to it via sudo. Try out 'visudo' and the man page of 'sudoers'.

When sudo is setup correctly, certain users can execute commands as
root, so no changes to filesystem permissions are required. Just prefix
the command with sudo .. ie "sudo shutdown -rn now" or "sudo reboot".

All the best,
Robert