[RndTbl] wireless N router recommendations?

Mike Pfaiffer high.res.mike at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 16:32:52 CDT 2010

On 10-08-26 02:22 PM, Gilles Detillieux wrote:
> I was talking to Gilbert about recommendations for wireless N routers,
> as I'm in the market for one.  I'm not particularly interested in
> running custom firmware (just need good, solid, secure and reliable
> wireless LAN and basic Internet support), so this post is perhaps
> slightly off-topic in this forum.  But Gilbert did mention that there
> had been discussion at a recent meeting about Wireless N antenna
> strength, and some recommendations (mostly negative) about specific
> routers, though he couldn't recall specific brands mentioned.
>
> Any good dual-band models in the $70 to $130 price range?
>
> Thanks,
> Gilles

	I'm running a D-Link 655. It's OK. Reviews last year put it third from
the top from what the reviewers were looking for. I have to agree with
Sean. I can connect a USB NIC to my Mint box and it works well but if
there is a choice between G and N the NIC will choose G. To be fair I
haven't tried to force an N connection. This particular router has
gigabit (wired) capabilities. As to reliability... It was running for a
couple of months steady last winter.

	As coincidence would have it, I am running it now with a test machine.
If you'd like to try it out as is and you happen to be in Windsor Park
just East of WPC it is there and open. No internet connection though.
I've tried to make the SSID as obvious as possible. If you want to make
arrangements to see what it is like if we force an N connection, let me
know before Friday of next week when the machine goes back.

				Later
				Mike