[RndTbl] wireless N router recommendations?

Sean Cody sean at tinfoilhat.ca
Thu Aug 26 15:01:01 CDT 2010

802.11N is heavily encumbered and barely supported outside Windows and Mac.

I have also personally have not witnessed N range or speed stably in any environment I've tried it in (very spotty and bursty, to use some technical terms).

I suggest sticking with 802.11G or running wires for performance critical uses.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/ has a really nice review chart of the N routers available.

All dual band APs are pretty terrible.  Most implementations I've seen end up servicing the 'least common denominator' meaning if you have a G device on that AP then the best you'll get is G on that band.

It is best to stick with one range or another and doing so gives you more flexibility in the after market antenna options.

Be doubly sure to have any cordless devices using bands that don't overlap with G and N.
N is particularly susceptible to noise given the wider bandwidth.

--
Sean