[RndTbl] rural internet access

Colin Stanners colin at ninja.ca
Fri Nov 19 17:08:56 CST 2010

Disclaimer: my job is wireless internet, although we don't offer service
that far south.

Anything that doesn't suck involves equipment worth hundreds of dollars
on your
roof and requires a contract. I've taken down enough Xplornet dishes to
fill up a few
pickup trucks (some customers paid hundreds to get _out_ of their
contracts) and
although I've once met 1 person that was happy with their service that
person hadn't
tried anything other than dial-up. Some of their installers are using
our service...

The only good option is fixed wireless, Wiband and Voyageur are there. A
number
of times when Wiband recommends a concreted-in 68ft tower, a house-attached
40/50foot tower ($500-700 new, ~$200 used on Buy&Sell / Kijiji; height
is without
counting ~10ft mast on top; tower can't be more than 20ft over roof)
will actually get
you above the trees and fine signal for an install. I don't know if
their 'regular'
technicians have the the authorization/experience to install those so
that may be why
they're not quoting it. Best option is if you already have one & they
can install on it.

There are some projects in the works to massively expand wireless
broadband in
Manitoba in the next 18 months, but you probably don't want to wait that
long.