[RndTbl] Linux distro for Pentium III

Adam Thompson athompso at athompso.net
Tue Oct 8 09:36:35 CDT 2013

On 13-10-07 10:08 PM, Hartmut W Sager wrote:
> VESA??? I think VESA is from the 80386/80486 era, and that even
> Pentium 1 (desktop) computers started adopting the PCI bus for several
> reasons, including the replacement of the short-sighted VESA bus.  So,
> a Pentium 3 should heavily post-date VESA. Roundtable mailing list
> Roundtable at muug.mb.ca http://www.muug.mb.ca/mailman/listinfo/roundtable
Yes and no.

You're thinking of the VESA LocalBus slot, which was short-sighted only
in the sense that it was designed by a bunch of video card mfgrs to make
their products look good - it did exactly what it was supposed to, and
it was cheap enough that m/b mfgrs (mostly) just implemented it without
putting up a fight.

However, VESA, the association, continues to define standards for
video-related things today.  Some of the most important bits are the
spacing of the mounting holes on the back of LCDs (yes, seriously), and
a common definition of how to set video cards into a certain resolution
with a linear, non-accelerated, frame buffer mapped to a certain address
space... this latter piece is what the X "VESA" driver supports, a
lowest-common-denominator mode so that you can at least set the
resolution correctly on pretty much any video card today.

-Adam