[RndTbl] DoD multicast?

Sean Walberg sean at ertw.com
Thu Feb 13 23:00:10 CST 2014

> Right, but why would Shaw put out IGMP onto a wire consisting of
> nothing but "clients" -- home users?  I can see them running IGMP on
> the other (upstream) side of their router, but why talk IGMP to clients
> when none should be talking IGMP?

Hosts speak IGMP, too. It's used to indicate interest in a multicast group.
Normally the host would send something saying "hey sign me up for the
stream at 229.1.1.1" and they'd start getting the stream. Every minute
you'd then see a query to 229.1.1.1 from the router saying "hey local
segment, is there anyone here that still wants this?" and it's the host's
job to say "I do!". The 224.0.0.1 is a special case, basically a "hey are
they any multicast listeners out here?" kind of thing.

Back to Occam's razor... It's probably a misconfiguration (if memory
serves, it's just one command like "ip pim enable") or a field trial (IP
TV?) and the address is again a misconfiguration or them using the address
space for management.

Sean

Sean Walberg <sean at ertw.com>    http://ertw.com/