[RndTbl] I'm looking for an all-in-one

Adam Thompson athompso at athompso.net
Sat Oct 31 20:45:09 CDT 2020

Good news, Hartmut!  Most "business" inkjets now have built-in technology to prevent the ink or the printheads from drying out.  This comes at the expense of a tiny (really, it is tiny) amount of ink being used automatically every few days.

I've had reasonably good luck with both Brother and Epson inkjets in recent memory, and in particular on Brother network interfaces you can disable whatever protocols you don't want.  I've used the Brother MFC-J* series, and the Epson Workforce series.

Both have Linux drivers that kind of suck but do work.  The Epsons at least use ESC/P which is sorta standard, or at least widely supported in CUPS.

Brother also makes what looks like a nice PCL color laser, but I've no direct experience with it.  That would probably(?) be a better choice for traditional Linux/UNIX use.

All of these support IPP, in theory, so printer drivers are supposed to be a problem of the past.  Ahem.

-Adam