[RndTbl] Accusations against Stallman at last night meeting

John Lange john at johnlange.ca
Thu Jun 10 09:41:40 CDT 2021

I really have no knowledge of the Stalman situation but just wanted to
strongly disagree. Someone's contributions to a given field should not
grant them any leeway whatsoever.

All people should be held to the same standards of behaviour regardless of
their social standing. Otherwise we end up with powerful people abusing
their privilege. That is sadly the reality in today's world and "cancel
culture" is the resulting backlash against that inequality.

As with most social corrections there will be people that will argue the
pendulum has swung too far but that doesn't change the fact that it needed
to swing.

John

On Thu, Jun 10, 2021 at 1:40 AM Trevor Cordes <trevor at tecnopolis.ca> wrote:

> On 2021-06-09 Bill Reid wrote:
> > Thanks Trevor for your comments about Stallman.   Well written.
>
> Thanks also.
>
> I won't argue left vs far left, since it's subjective and, more
> importantly, irrelevant to the point I was trying to make.  I only
> brought it up to illustrate that, if anything, I should be biased
> _against_ Stallman, yet here I am defending his right to voice
> his (often appalling) opinions (I mostly vehemently disagree with)
> without being professionally destroyed.  If nothing else, his
> contributions should have earned him much wider pause, leeway,
> understanding, and tolerance.
>
> But, alas, tis the nature of the culture at the moment.  I could go on
> and on for a very long time, so I'll leave it here.  Perhaps we can
> chat in person further at a future meeting.  I also look forward to
> hearing what others have to say.  Shocking that so many are silent
> whilst witnessing the destruction of an icon.

John Lange