[RndTbl] I...am not feeling too well...

Gilbert E. Detillieux gedetil at cs.umanitoba.ca
Mon Mar 15 14:18:21 CDT 2021

On 2021-03-15 1:55 p.m., Chris Audet wrote:
> I'm not a telecom guy, but is this really a concern?

At least somewhat, I would think.  Or maybe a lot!...

> In 2019 the CRTC forced the big ISPs to allow smaller ISPs to resell
> their networks.

Yeah, and the big cable/telco players dragged that on into this year
with appeals, stays, etc., to prevent the smaller 3rd-parties from
getting the reduced bulk rates the CRTC mandated back then.  Those
smaller players were forced to increase their retail rates drastically
last year, which caused a lot of problems for their customers, and a lot
of lost revenue for everyone except the big players.

With fewer, larger companies owning all of the cable plant, expect this
situation to get worse rather than better in the future.

> So you would sign up for internet with "ChrisNet", but the actual cable
> going into your house is owned by Shaw.  "ChrisNet" would pay Shaw to do
> this.

Yeah, that's the way it's supposed to work, theoretically.  ;)

Gilbert

https://www.cbc.ca/search?q=teksavvy&section=all&sortOrder=relevance&media=all

--
Gilbert E. Detillieux        E-mail:  <gedetil at cs.umanitoba.ca>