[RndTbl] Fwd: Samples of red text on black background

Adam Thompson athompso at athompso.net
Mon Apr 3 21:14:34 CDT 2023

Yes!  It’s an artifact of how sub-pixel aliasing works – recall that Red is one of the primary pixels available, and usually the left-most or top-most one, so that imposes some limitation on what can be done to anti-alias red-on-black text.  To the best of my knowledge, the only way to “improve” this is to turn off ClearType.   Start->”Cleartype”->run the Cleartype Text Tuner, and turn it on/off.  I find ClearType worthwhile despite the red/purple-on-dark problem, but I know others here vehemently dislike sub-pixel aliasing!  It’s very much a personal-choice thing, it depends on your eyes and your brain.  If you deal with a lot of red-on-black text, I think your only options are to ditch sub-pixel rendering, increase the font size, or change the color.  (All the examples you showed can, I think, have their color changed.)
-Adam