[RndTbl] small laptop for linux

Trevor Cordes trevor at tecnopolis.ca
Wed Dec 20 22:34:14 CST 2023

I'm looking at getting a cheap, small, light laptop (real laptop, not
ChromeBook) for travelling, and I'll probably just hose any Windows and
put on Linux.  In the $300-$800 space there are lots of laptops with
"Windows For Education" and "Windows <whatever> In S Mode".  Is there any
impediment to me buying those and hosing the Windows and installing Linux?

Have they done any more with locking down the secureboot thing and making
it so I absolutely cannot install Linux?  If I can't turn it into a Linux
box, it's useless to me.

And a second question: is it still pretty normal to install Linux on more
"normal" laptops, like HP or Asus ones that are 1-2 years old with normal
i5's or Ryzen 5's?  I know the old adage is "avoid Acer", but beyond that
will most of the core components/drivers work: Intel o/b video, wifi,
sound card.  I don't really care about webcam or lid-sleeping, though of
course wouldn't turn my nose up at them.

The key is budget... mostly looking at super cheap corporate refurbs.
Just want to have a couple of nice newer-ish Linux laptops, one for
travel, and one for wife stuff, that also can do Win7 virtualized (don't
ask! seriously!).