[RndTbl] Is there an Muug like community based appetite for alternative to USB3 to Ethernet, to make NAS

Chris Audet cj.audet at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 12:34:18 CST 2023

@Eduard In cases like this I think it's helpful to refer back to the MUUG
mission statement:
https://muug.ca/pub/bylaws/bylaws-nov2011.pdf

The objectives of the group shall be (Paraphrased)

   - Promote free exchange of information and practice of open systems tech
   in MB
   - Enhance professional efficiency and effectiveness of its members
   - Encourage cooperation among industry, gov, edu, and other special
   interest groups

The way I've always interpreted the mission is that the primary objectives
are community building, and to support local users by providing a platform
to share learnings, and receive feedback on whatever they might be working
on.

I'm not opposed to expanding the scope of services offered at some point,
but since the server admin team are all volunteers I'd be concerned about
keeping the amount of ongoing maintenance at a sustainable level.  Going
down the service provider route isn't impossible, but I'd consider it a
significant change of direction for the club 🙂

*Quick aside*: I've been using *Deja-Dup
<https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/DejaDup>* since switching to desktop Linux
mid-2022.  This app rocks, it's very simple to set up, and thanks to
using *Duplicity
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duplicity_(software)>* under the hood it
allows you to encrypt all backups using a password.  Even though my backups
are uploaded to Microsoft Onedrive, the actual contents of the backups are
not visible.  Would 100% recommend giving it a look if you're evaluating
cheap offsite backup solutions.

*Quick aside 2*: look up tilde communities <https://tildeverse.org/> for an
example of a Linux group that's more focused on providing services than
community building.  Very interesting topic, but a little out of the scope
of this discussion so I'll leave it at that for now.