[RndTbl] Fw: [SECURITY] Fedora 36 Update: openssl-3.0.8-1.fc36

Adam Thompson athompso at athompso.net
Wed Feb 22 15:12:30 CST 2023

Bob Beck et al. from the OpenBSD project already "secured" OpenSSL, with the result being called LibreSSL.  It's drop-in compatible for many applications, but does require recompiling.  That team did a number of presentations on it, and apparently you can still hear the swearing echoing late at night when it's quiet...

The OpenSSL team, however, appear to be rather resistant to help.  Serious NIH syndrome.  Also they're more focused on preserving backwards compatibility than correctness or security.  And also don't respond well to criticism, from what I've seen.

All the large orgs you mentioned already have their own OpenSSL-replacement projects in-house, some of them public.  None of those are even remotely drop-in replacements, they're re-imagninings of what a secure-connection library should be.

-Adam