[RndTbl] [SECURITY] Fedora 36 Update: openssl-3.0.8-1.fc36

Gilbert Detillieux Gilbert.Detillieux at umanitoba.ca
Wed Feb 22 15:37:47 CST 2023

Thanks for the update on LibreSSL.  Last time I looked at it, they were
still in version 1.x, and still only supported on BSD-based systems.  I
see they're at version 3.x now.

I wonder how much of this is still the case about support on Linux?...

https://lwn.net/Articles/841664/

There's also an overwhelming level of "this-is-fine"-ism in the
industry, so as long as OpenSSL isn't a complete dumpster fire at the
moment, people aren't willing to invest in alternatives, regardless of
how drop-in-ready they may be (which is apparently still a debatable
point with LibreSSL on Linux, or at least still was 2 years ago, when
the above article was written).

Longer term, maybe a complete re-imagining is what the industry will
need to move forward.  Most companies and developers are motivated more
by new features than by correctness or security, sadly.

Gilbert

Gilbert Detillieux          E-mail: Gilbert.Detillieux at umanitoba.ca
Computer Science            Web:    http://www.cs.umanitoba.ca/~gedetil/
University of Manitoba      Phone:  204-474-8161
Winnipeg MB CANADA  R3T 2N2