[RndTbl] weird samba ACLs from MS Office

Trevor Cordes trevor at tecnopolis.ca
Fri Jan 6 20:50:39 CST 2023

Have samba (4.16) sharing some linux drives to Windows.  Want things
pretty simple where files on the share are all forced into certain user,
gorup, mode:

   force create mode = 0660
   force directory mode = 02770
   force user = samba

Everything works great.  The files get created like this:

-rw-rw----   1 samba samba       0 Jan  4 01:01 test-file.txt

... With every app except MS Office.  MS Office insists on making some
fubar ACL:

-rw-rwx---+  1 samba samba   50510 Jan  4 01:13 test-excel.csv*

#getfacl test-excel.csv
# file: test-excel.csv
# owner: samba
# group: samba
user::rw-
user:samba:rw-
group::rw-
group:samba:rw-
mask::rwx
other::---

Looks like the same thing, eh?  But that ACL screws up linus backups as it
is stopping a user who is in group samba from reading the file!!?!??

But I don't even want to solve that riddle (because they should be able to
read it), I just want to force samba to not let (or just ignore) Office
make an ACL in the first place.  I don't want any files where ls says "+"
in the mode!

I swear this didn't use to happen.  Might have been years ago, though.
All the samba ACL options seem to be to get "more" ACLs.  I want less!
None!

But I don't want to mount the linux fs itself with ACLs off.  I just want
to force samba to force Office to not be insane.

Anyone know the magic for this?