[RndTbl] USB3 to Ethernet, to make NAS

Trevor Cordes trevor at tecnopolis.ca
Sat Jan 28 03:09:01 CST 2023

On 2023-01-27 Hartmut W Sager wrote:
> Thank you very much, Adam, for that tip-off.  I've never heard of
> them before, but I'm sure studying their Website now.  I'm mainly
> looking at B2, and it is indeed remarkably cheap

People who know me know I *hate* cloud.  If this is the cheapest cloud
out there, then it's still too much money *if you are a techie who knows
what they are doing and likes futzing with hardware*.  (For average
Joes, ya ok.)

Your 5TB use case would appear to equal $25/mo at this place.  You can
often find 5TB USB3 drives on blowout for under $100.  So in 4 months
you're paying more than the DIY backup solution.  The cloud solution
will cost you that fee *forever*.

And with the cloud, all your base belong to them (and NSA, and other
.gov with or without a warrant).  And you must trust they are having
the appropriate level of redundancy/protection, and it's not just some
dude with their own external USB3 drive on a Pi!!  Will you bet your
life on the data being there when you need it?  What's your recourse?
Almost all places will just refund the fee you paid (if that)... can't
sue for the value of lost data.