[RndTbl] RHEL pulls source code

Trevor Cordes trevor at tecnopolis.ca
Fri Jun 23 01:16:14 CDT 2023

On 2023-06-23 Adam Thompson wrote:
> Probably perfectly legal, but what a way to say F.U. to the Linux
> community! -Adam

Is this legal, per the GPL?  They make modifications, they release
binaries (though not for free).  Therefore they must release the
sources?  Releasing a different version (I guess what they'll call
their "upstream" may not satisfy the GPL?

Ramifications?  I guess this instantly kills Rocky et al and forces
everyone on "free RHEL" to buy RHEL?  I don't think Rocky et al have
the resources to path & update their distro on their own, and in any
event, it would no longer be "fully RHEL compatible".

Or am I reading this completely wrong?