[RndTbl] HDMI extenders

Adam Thompson athompso at athompso.net
Thu Mar 9 09:38:54 CST 2023

(if googling, also try the spellings "balun", "bailun" and oh I forget how many other ways I've seen it spelled)

The HDMI extenders are - generally - video encoder/decoder appliances: think MPEG or H.something-or-other.  So depending on the model, the "HDMI" they support can be anywhere from unidirectional 720i to full bidirectional 4k with ARC.  Because it's _almost_ always based on gigabit Ethernet, length is usually limited to around 300'/100m, and the correct spec of cable (Cat5/5e) will help maximize distance, i.e. don't assume using Cat6/6A/7 will be better without testing that assumption.

I remember a thread about HDMI length limits here in the distant past; I think Trevor has successfully run 1080p over 50' cables but possibly with not quite 100% reliability?

-Adam