[RndTbl] Raspberry Pi OS 12 bookworm and Wayland - no screen saver?

Chris Audet cj.audet at gmail.com
Sat Nov 4 13:41:14 CDT 2023

I gave this a try on my Pi 3 Model B, but it turns out this model only
supports x11 for now (I tried "raspi-config > Advanced Options > Wayland"
and reboot but I think it's still using x11).

Just curious, what application are you running on the Pi?

I mostly use them for digital signage with FullPageOS, so haven't used the
screen blanking feature until you mentioned this issue.

chrisa at raspberrypi:~ $ cat /etc/os-release
PRETTY_NAME="Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm)"

chrisa at raspberrypi:~ $ cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep Model
Model           : Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Plus Rev 1.3

chrisa at raspberrypi:~ $ echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE
x11

Relevant KB:
https://www.raspberrypi.com/documentation/computers/configuration.html#wayland
"In the current version of Raspberry Pi OS Bookworm, the Raspberry Pi 4 and
Pi 400 use Wayland by default; other models of Raspberry Pi use X11 by
default."