[RndTbl] Wifi recommendations

Trevor Cordes trevor at tecnopolis.ca
Tue Feb 27 18:47:55 CST 2024

On 2024-02-27 Adam Thompson wrote:
> Mesh != Extender.
> More precisely, mesh deployments *can* use all-wireless extenders,
> but are more commonly deployed with a mixture of wired-where-possible
> and wireless-where-not.
>
> Some mesh products exist that don't allow extra wired nodes - avoid
> these.
>
> Otherwise, the "mesh"-ness means 100% seamless handover between the
> APs as you walk around the house with your phone.

Ya, I was taking liberties with definitions a little bit.  However, my
point still stands that if his "extender" is wireless (most are), it
could be part of the problem, not the solution.  If his extender is
wired, then my point is moot.  Ideally you'd have the best of both
worlds by having wired extenders and mesh-y WAPs.  If that's what Dan's
solution can do (and it's cheap(ish)) then that sounds like a winner.

Yes, mesh-y has the advantage of the seamless handoff that JBOW (just a
bunch of waps, hehe) would lack.  However, the phones are pretty quick
to change to a different auto-connect WAP as soon as they get the
exclamation mark barf-out.