[RndTbl] Issues encountered with the Shaw BlueCurve modem and app

David Milton david at dmilton.ca
Tue Nov 22 15:13:19 CST 2022

Hi Brian,

I had similar problems with the Blue Curve modem in bridge mode with a firewall however there are additional issues.

1. The modem appears to block various tunnel protocols. I was unable to get an IP-IP tunnel up to Hurricane Electric and I was unable to get a GRE tunnel up to MRnet. So IPv6 is not possible through a tunnelling protocol.

2. If you get an IPv6 delegation it’s broken. You get the RA containing the /56 delegation but another RA which should contain your default route is never sent. That means you have IPv6 addresses but nowhere to forward packets. So IPv6 is not available through a delegation. We ultimately verified this with packet traces and were never able to figure out why my firewall never received the RA containing the interface link and next-hop router. Even explicit RA discovery requests were unanswered. Our final take between myself and the Shaw tech(s) was that IPv6 does not work in bridge mode. In router mode you can get a single /64 which it will configure for use with SLAAC but that takes out my firewall, internal network, and apparently also static IPv6 address assignments.

For me, IPv6 is a requirement, not an option so I was completely unable to use the Shaw service with the Blue Curve modem. I cannot remember exactly but I think at the time I started with a version 6 modem and then given a version 7 modem. Neither worked any different.

I found their support was excellent. I spent numerous hours (better part of two days) working with their support to try and resolve the above issues. The first one is apparently a known problem that dates back _years_! The second issue is also likely a bug in the Blue Curve firmware.

I would be open to virtually any alternative modem but it seems this is the only one Shaw will hand out. Instead I’m using a cable modem from TekSavvy where all of the above works fine over the same cable infrastructure. So the basic cable infrastructure is more than capable but the Blue Curve cable modem is junk.

Cheers,
  Dave.