[RndTbl] Issues encountered with the Shaw BlueCurve modem and app

Brian Lowe brian2 at groupbcl.ca
Wed Nov 23 20:49:37 CST 2022

On Wednesday, November 23, 2022 1:30:49 P.M. CST Hartmut W Sager wrote:

> Ah yes, I now remember reading that.  So, you really want the Shaw
> Motorola/Arris/etc DCX-3510-M TV box, and possibly the Hitron CGNM-2250
> Internet modem, which both use the incoming coax RG-6 directly.  It's the
> classic Shaw architecture of the past (and still currently available), and
> I am a happy user of this arrangement.
>
> Are you resisting this solution?  Why?  All it requires is pushing through
> the major resistance the Shaw rep will give you.  :)

At one point I was talking to a Shaw representative and was told there would
be an additional charge for using a non-standard piece of equipment on their
BlueCurve service. I got quite upset and terminated the call at that point. I
should call back to get confirmation on this.

Second, Shaw may discontinue the Hitron and leave other advanced customers in
the lurch by giving them the terrible CGM4141 device. I'm trying to get Shaw
to upgrade the firmware in the CGM4141 so no other advanced user has to go
through this pain. After all, it's their preferred gateway for their BlueCurve
service, and it should work as well as or better than the Hitron.

Third, Shaw /claims/ to be a customer oriented company. Here's the profile for
Bradley Shaw, Executive Chair & Chief Executive Officer:

> Brad is the Executive Chair and Chief Executive Officer of the Company. Since
2010, Brad has led the transformation of the Company from a Western-based
cable company to a leading Canadian connectivity company. Brad joined the
Company in 1987 as a customer service representative in the call centre where
he learned the importance of listening to customers, responding to their needs
and delivering an exceptional customer experience. This philosophy of customer
service has guided him throughout his career as he assumed senior management
and executive responsibilities. Brad was instrumental in building Shaw Direct
into one of North America’s leading direct-to-home satellite television
providers and he played a key role in the launch of the Company’s digital home
phone service in 2005. In 2016, Brad spearheaded the following two
transformational transactions: the acquisition of Freedom Mobile and
divestiture of Shaw Media to reposition Shaw as a leading Canadian
connectivity company.

I'm putting Shaw to the test to see if they truly are customer oriented or if
they're just blowing hot air. They made TWO BILLION DOLLARS IN PROFITS last
year. I want them to invest some of that money into improving their BlueCurve
gateway device.

Brian